Saturday, November 30, 2013

     For this week I am to describe a time where I had to use specific data to make an instructional decision.  I am not a classroom instructor so thinking of a specific time is hard for me to do.  In doing this post I am going to a time in my homeschool journey. I am going to use my youngest son as my example and how I assessed where we needed to start him within the curriculum I wanted to use.
   
What data did you have?
     The first data I had was the age and grade of my son.  I knew what kind of learner I thought he was.  I also knew that one on one attention was what was needed for him at the time.  I had the data of where I thought he was academically.  I knew that he wasn't reading yet, he loved math.  I also knew that at this time science and social studies would be extras and not a main concern.  I would focus on Language Arts and Math.
 
How did you get it?
     I used different test for the curriculum that I wanted to use to find out where he placed.  I also did my own assessments for him using games and phonics drills.
   
Did you need additional data?  What would need to happen to get that additional data?
      Being that this is my own son I did not need to acquire additional data on him.  Since no data was needed I also do not have any ways that attaining that data would need to happen.

How might technology have enhanced the gathering and use of that data?
     If I had utilized technology to use and gather the data I could have used programs that would keep track of where we started and his growth.  I also could have used daily apps to add some fun to his learning while also keeping records on him.  Using the data I had I could create charts to plot his growth in each subject that could have also been used when he would return to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment